The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights has released "Civil Rights Principles for Student Loan Debt Cancellation."
The principles are:
- Debt cancellation must extend to all student loan borrowers.
- Debt cancellation must not be limited based on the sector of institution attended.
- The debt-cancellation process must be easy and accessible.
- Debt cancellation must not have negative credit implications.
- Debt cancellation should be paired with policies to increase meaningful access and affordability in our higher education system.